Assistance with reading the content of this website is available 24 hours/7 days a week by calling 800-422-9116.

Injunction for Protection

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Victims' Have The Right:

  • To be heard and informed. To participate in the process.
  • To have assistance from a Victim Advocate.
  • To receive information and assistance with Crimes Compensation.


What is an Injunction For Protection?

A civil order signed by a Judge telling the alleged abuser to have no contact with you in person, mail or third party. It can also address issues concerning child custody, child visitation, alimony. A Victim Advocate from our Department can assist you with the application as well as the Domestic Violence Shelter Advocates.

Instructions to Apply for an Injunction for Protection

If you have been the victim of anact of domestic violence, or have reasonable cause to believe you are in imminent danger of becoming the victim of an act of domestic violence; you may apply for an injunction for protection. Following and repeatedly telephoning a person is sufficient evidence of stalking to permit the court to enter an injunction. (Biggs v. Elliot 4th DCA April 15, 1998). to get an injunction.” F.S. 741.30(5)(a). ( a police report is not required to apply for an injunction, but can be helpful).

Please develop a safety plan with an Advocate, regardless if your injunction is granted!

  • The Five types of injunctions: 1) Repeat Violence 2) Domestic Violence 3) Sexual Violence 4) Dating Violence 5) Stalking.
  • Advocates can assist with the application.
  • Apply at the Clerk’s Office first floor room 102 at the Court House, 671-5568 8am-3pm. The Domestic Violence Shelter and Police Department Advocates also have applications & can assist you. It can take 2 hours to fill out the application; apply early.

  • Bring a photo ID, a recent pay stub, and debts owed
  • After 3:00 pm for domestic violence only, you may apply at the jail visitation area 700 NW 30th ave & they have a child friendly room.
  • There is no fee for the injunction.
  • If a temporary order is issued, it is usually in effect for two weeks. A court date may be given to you for a permanent hearing. You must appear at that court date, or you could be held in contempt of court. Dress appropriately and arrive on time. You may bring witnesses with you, but it is not required.
  • You may call the Legal Aid Office at 629-0105 or domestic violence shelter 622-8495 after you receive your permanent hearing date. You may ask that their Attorney represent you at the hearing. This is optional and can be helpful. There is no charge for this service.
  • If considering dropping an injunction, speak with an Advocate.


After a Domestic Violence Injunction is Obtained


  • Keep your injunction with you at all times. The Court House will give you two certified copies and a court date for the permanent hearing. The injunction is not in effect until it has been served to the respondent
  • Report any criminal violation (any contact with you by mail, phone, text, social media, video visitation or in person) to the law enforcement agency where the violation occurred. If no arrest is made, report the violation to the Clerk's Office, 1st floor, room 102 at the Court House. A Hearing will be set to discuss the violation.
  • Report any civil violation to the Clerk's Office (not paying child support or alimony). If the violation occurs before the respondent has been servered, give the officer one of your certified copies so they can serve him/her.

Victim Advocates help victims understand and cope with the impact of crime. They help victims’ access victim compensation, develop safety plans, navigate the criminal justice and social service systems and learn about their legal rights and options.

For more information about victims' rights and services in Ocala, please call:
Victim Advocates at the Police Department (352-369-7139) or,
the Sheriff Department’s Victim Advocate or Crisis Intervention Specialist (352-732-8181) or
Domestic Violence Shelter 24 hr Hotline (352-622-8495).