Happy and Safe Thanksgiving
Ocala Fire Rescue wants to share safety tips to keep you from falling victim to cooking fires and burns this Thanksgiving and every day thereafter.
- Keep a 3-feet kid and pet-free zone around your cooking area.
- Always keep an oven mitt and pan lid nearby. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame, and turn off the burner.
- If a fire starts in the oven, turn off the oven and leave the door closed.
- If frying your turkey:
- Use a turkey fryer only outdoors on a sturdy level surface, ten to fifteen feet away from any structure or property that could burn.
- A frozen turkey will cause hot oil to splatter. Make sure the turkey is completely thawed before it goes in the fryer.
- Use no more oil than what is needed. Determine the correct amount of oil needed by first placing the fowl in the fryer with water.
- Use long cooking gloves that protect hands and arms, when handling the fryer.
Whether you choose to fry, smoke, or bake this Thanksgiving Day, never leave cooking food unattended, and treat your family to the best memory of all, a happy and safe holiday.
Wishing you a joyful Thanksgiving,
Your Friends at Ocala Fire Rescue