OFR Reminds the Public to "Watch What they Heat"
Earlier today Ocala Fire Rescue responded to reports of a fire at the 2000 block of NE 45th Ave. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered smoldering cabinets, affected by what began as a stovetop fire. Removing the stove and microwave from the kitchen, crews used a five-gallon water can to extinguish the cabinet fire. Using fans, firefighters cleared the unit of smoke residue. No injuries were sustained.
Whether you are simmering, baking or roasting food, it is critical to remain in the kitchen while heating appliances are in use. If you must leave the kitchen while cooking, assign someone to keep an eye on what your heat.