A Safe New Year is a Happy New Year: Let’s Welcome 2018, Safely
Ocala Fire Rescue wishes everyone a Happy and Safe New Year. Here are some tips on how to keep your loved ones safe and ready to face 2018 before and after the clock strikes twelve.
- Do not drink and drive.
If you are planning on drinking do so responsibly and arrange for a designated driver or cab service.
- Be alert.
When driving, don’t assume everyone is driving as safely as you. Concentrate on the road and your surroundings at all times.
- Stick together.
If you are going out, travel in groups and make sure everyone is accounted for at all times.
- Leave fireworks to professionals.
Pyrotechnics are best left to experts. If you decide to light fireworks at home, make sure you are abiding the law and follow necessary precautions, including but not limited to:
- §only use fireworks outdoors free of overhead obstructions and away from grassy areas or flammable materials,
- do not give fireworks to children, and keep children and pets at a safe distance,
- keep water nearby to soak used fireworks,
- and always keep a phone nearby to call 911 in case of emergency.
- Have an emergency kit ready.
Be ready for minor medical or car emergencies. Keep a basic emergency kit handy and make sure your vehicle is equipped with jumper cables, a flashlight, and a carjack.